Wednesday 16 October 2013

Jealousy!

Very jealous of Dad today. As  I was at school, Dad only went to Lackford Lakes and saw these 2 beauties....

Can you see it?


If you don't know what they are, they are Jack Snipes. Even me saying the bird's name makes my fists clench. I have never seen these birds before, and I they have been my target bird for ages. I'm just going to end this part of the post now, and move onto Landguard (well done Dad, not amused.)

Landguard

Dad and I went to Landguard on Saturday just gone. Our target bird was Ring Ouzel, but we were actually expecting a bird on the common, not flying over the road. Well, as we approached the Port of Felixstowe, on the A14, a Black bird with silver primaries and secondaries flew into the road side cover. Dad didn't see it because he was driving, but I had never seen a male blackbird have that much silver on it's wings in flight. It had to be a Ring Ouzel.

We arrived at Landguard, and spoke to one of the wardens. He had had 2 Leach's Petrels, 9 Ring Ouzel and a Bonxie earlier in the morning. This was now 12:30 pm. Most off the stuff had gone. He did say though that a Whinchat was at the southern most point. So we headed that way. Dad took to the sea - that's his aspect of birding - and I took to the migrant passerines - that's my aspect. I was on my own. I found myself 3 Wheatear....


Meadow Pipit for comparison.

I also find myself a flock of Linnet and Meadow Pipits, and then the Whinchat briefly. I only saw it once though, then it was gone. I then spoke to a gentlemen, and asked him if he had seen any Ring Ouzels. He said he had 3 in the bushes around the building about 30 mins ago. So, I went over there and had a look. Guess what I saw....................... NOTHING! I then headed back to the common, and came face to face with a Goldfinch perched nicely.


I then met back up with Dad on the beach. he didn't have anything, apart from a flock of Ducks sitting offshore. They were Common Scoters. He shew them to me, then a Red-throated Diver flew straight across my vision. It was distant, but I managed to show Dad. We then went back to the common, and I found a peculiar thrush on the ground. I went to investigate. It was a Redwing. I whistled Dad over, and we snapped away....





We then went back to the car park, and headed home.

My Sightings Today
  • 70+ Redwing around Stowupland in separate flocks, including one briefly in garden!!!!!
  • 10+ Long-tailed Tit's in Garden this afternoon.

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment