Thursday 8 May 2014

A Time To Get My Norfolk Year List Going!

On Bank Holiday Monday, Dad took me up to the Norfolk Broads, to try and get some summer birds on my Norfolk Year List, as I hadn't got any. I started the day on 132 for Norfolk, and I wanted to add at least 10 to that by the end of the day. We started off going to Strumpshaw. On the A47, we got a cracking Red Kite (133), which was also new to my British Year List. We also got Swallow, Whitethroat and House Martin (136) on there too.

We got to Strumpshaw, and to Fen Hide. We had just missed a Bittern right in front of the hide - it's always the way isn't it! However, we did get several Marsh Harriers here, which were either nest building, hunting or doing food passes - Great to watch!!!!! Also got a distant flying Whimbrel (137)



We then carried on round, and got a cracking male Reed Bunting...


There were several butterflies about too, including my first Green-veined Whites of the year. I am very proud of my photo's of them :)







We then got singing Garden Warbler, Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler (140), more Whitethroats and plenty of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs....




Willow Warblers

There were really good number of Swifts (141) screaming too...


Fen Hide produced some goodies, with an overdue Wigeon, 2 Common Terns (142), and a couple of distant Cuckoo's (143)....




Walking round the rest of the reserve failed to produce a Gropper, but did get a great summer plumaged Bar-tailed Godwit, even if the picture doesn't show for it. We also got my first Large Red Damselfly of the year too along with Hairy Dragonfly.




We then went to Buckenham, where we got Hobby and Lesser Whitethroat (145), and another Red Kite....


As we got closer to the hide, I started to check the Gulls for a Little Gull that had been reported, but didn't see it. We got Redshanks, baby and adult Lapwings, a Ruff, Sedge Warbler and all the common stuff...



But while looking at these, out of nothing almost, the Little Gull had flown in and landed in front of the hide. We raced up to the hide, and went and had a look. We got great views of this little fella through the scope, but it was too distant for the camera, so I thought I would give it a go with some digiscoping. I got my phone out, and hand held it on the scope, and took a couple of great snaps and a video too!!! Not bad for a first attempt eh?




A stop at Beighton Church for the Turtle Doves was unsuccessful, but I did miss one fly right over my head as I was too busy talking. Stupid Boy!

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment